Who Are We?
St Mark’s is member congregation of the Lutheran Church of Australia (LCA).
- In Australia and New Zealand almost 250,000 people call themselves Lutherans. There are 648 congregations, 298 parishes, 533 pastors (including those who have retired) and 92 lay workers.
- The Lutheran church has been in Australia and New Zealand for more than 150 years. In the 1830s small groups of European Lutherans emigrated in search of religious freedom. They settled mainly in rural areas in various parts of Australia.
- The Lutheran church is one of the world’s major Christian churches. It is the largest Protestant church. At the beginning of 2005 there were nearly 70 million Lutherans in the world.
- The Lutheran church is the oldest Protestant church. It dates back to the Reformation in the 16th century when Martin Luther challenged some of the teachings and practices of the church of his day. Luther insisted that the Bible is the authority that decides what the church should teach and do.
- The name ‘Lutheran’ was given to people who believed that Martin Luther was right in his interpretation of the Bible.